Emerging Designers Spring 2020 Exhibition of Work
Request for Proposals | New Due Date October 13, 2019
The College of Environmental Design requests proposals from an emerging designer or team of collaborating designers for an exhibition of their creative work. This “Emerging Designers” exhibition has been recently revised and is now scheduled from Jan. 12 to Feb. 29, 2020. This call is open to individuals, teams, or emerging firms in the fields of architecture, landscape, and urban design. The committee will consider proposals that explore a wide variety of design and urban-related topics. To qualify as an emerging designer, the individual should have received their terminal degree within the past ten academic years.
Proposals should include the following:
- Summary of the project you propose for the exhibit, including a working title, description of the central narrative, and 3 supporting images. (2-4 pages)
- Portfolio of most recent and relevant work. (10 pages)
- Current CV. (2 pages)
The designer(s) selected to mount an exhibition will receive a $5,000 honorarium。 The College of Environmental Design will host an opening reception, following a public lecture by the exhibitor about their work。
捕鱼大作战The exhibit space is the Wurster Gallery. This gallery is approximately 2,200 square feet, with both overhead and perimeter spot lighting. Walls are white Homasote. There are also mobile pin-up walls and various pedestals for placement of models.
Costs associated with preparation, installation, and removal of exhibit materials (printing, shipping, insurance, specialized lighting or installation systems) are the responsibility of the exhibitor(s)。
→ All proposal packages must be submitted in electronic form to Grace Moon at email@example.com by October 13, 2019.
Photos of Wurster Gallery exhibitions
- Should the entrants be UC Berkeley Alumni?
No, the teams do not have to be UC Berkeley CED Alumni.
- How many teams will be chosen for the exhibit?
We expect to choose one team. Space and finances are limited.
- Approximately how many teams are expected to submit?
This is unknown since we have not done this before。
- Any base guidelines for selection?
We are looking for creative work。
- Please send me some photos of the previous year(s) exhibit, if available.
Again, this is an inaugural exhibition. Images of other work exhibited in the Gallery are
捕鱼大作战 posted on the website.
- I would love to know what exactly "terminal degree" means. Does it refer to the last degree
obtained by each applicant? or Is it related to the year when the applicant finish university and
became an architect?
In this case, it refers to the date of the last degree received by the applicant. We
expect some entrants to have degrees from more than one field.
- I got my Undergrad degree in June 2013 and Master degree in October 2015. Am I
eligible to send my proposal for the exhibition?
Yes, you are within the new time frame of ten years.
- Is the RFP open for international participants as well i.e. from other countries?
- Could the exhibit be a project that is academic/conceptual in nature i.e. an unbuilt
- It would be great if you could let me know once you receive my package or if you
have any questions about it.
We will let you know at the time of the deadline that your information was
- Please let me know that everything is received and if there is anything missing from
my submission package.
We will accept your package but will not be asking for any clarifications or
additional information at this point.
- If we'd be submitting as a team, does everyone on the team need to have graduated
within the past 5 years with a terminal degree?
We do not expect everyone on the team to have a degree awarded within the
new time period of years.
- Please let me know if there would be any more information required from my side.
We will not be commenting on the submittals。 Submittals will stand as submitted。
- I was wondering whether the proposal submission needs to include the full
"catalogue" of works so to speak, or if it should just be a sample of what will be
The submittal should be a summary of the project and is not expected to include
捕鱼大作战 the entire set of works included in the final exhibition.
- Does the portfolio to be included as part of the submission have to be strictly
individual academic work or can it include collaborative projects and professional
Since many projects are collaborative, it is important that your role and product
on a team project be clearly described.
- We were wondering if the final proposal needs to include a layout plan for the
At this point, we are looking for a summary of the project。
- In the proposal submission do we need to include the full catalogue of works? Or is
it possible to include a sample of what will be displayed for the exhibition? We were
wondering if we can include more images for the exhibition (more than 2-4) portion and
less for the "recent work"...
Please just include a sample of the proposal for what will be displayed. The two
to four images should be enough for the committee to understand what is being
- I graduated … with my Masters in Spring 2012.
The timeline for graduation has been expanded to include graduates from the
last 10 years.
- Does the exhibition have to revolve around one project? or can we send a range of
projects to be exhibited?
The exhibition does not have to revolve around one project。
- Is there a plan or set of cad drawings available for the space that I could request? Similarly, are there any bare-bone images available of the gallery unoccupied?
We are interested in a summary of the creative work proposed for the exhibition and
will expect the exhibit design at a later date.